Thursday, April 5, 2012

Miles 525.9 to 533.2

Note: There is a break in the miles due to a typo in the spreadsheet a few days ago.

Total Miles: 533.2
Miles Today: 7.26
7 Mile Streak: 13
Map way points: M to N
Google Map



I couldn't wait to get started today. I was sore from wrestling with a garbage disposal yesterday. But I knew it was the type of soreness that turns to energy like a diesel engine finally roaring to life on a cold day. I got to talking with someone about Facebook. They were wondering what the big booming noises were. It was just artillery fire from Ft. Carson which is about 30 miles away. Maybe less where the range is.

The air is cool this morning. The type of cool that nips the inside of my nose a little bit. I really enjoy that feeling. It means it is a great day for walking. There was a hint of fog which quickly disappeared as the sun rose a little higher.

Someone on www.whiteblaze.net said a trip of this length would be impossible to do for real. They did not understand the method of doing it by leapfrogging the bike and van. They thought I'd be doing 21,000 miles in each. I'll have to make a post describing the trip completely along with an overview map.

I enjoy it when people say something is impossible when I know it is not. I take it as a compliment. Especially if I have already done it. Sometimes I am on the other end. I thought a 1,000 miles in a day on a motorcycle was impossible. But many other people have done it, so I knew it was not. I just had not figured it out yet. After a year of planning, I finally did it a couple times in a month. The accomplishment was a denouement to the planning and preparation.

One of my favorite quotes is "Don't tell me something is impossible while I'm busy doing it."  I'm doing a "scale drawing" of this hike now. It will reveal the things that make it impossible so I can figure out the things that make it possible. On the first cut, it was simply a hiking trip. I figured out water would be an impossibility in many areas. So I found another way. I may change my current plan along the way and do something similar. At some point soon, I'll try a day just to see how it works out. I'll just ride my bike out 10 miles on the bicycle trail, walk home and then go pick up the bike. These small experiments will give me information to see if it can really be done. I really do not know how the mix of exercises will work with my body.

Just had a thought. I should make a T-shirt with the states blank and color them in as I virtual hike each one. It would be yellow with blue lines.

I went to lunch with Tom today. We have been going to lunch on Thursdays since 1994. For about the last 10 years we have been going to the Mandarin. An all you can eat Chinese Buffet.


I finished up the day with a cool evening walk to the store. The starlings are starting to congregate in the treetops in the evening. A bit later in the year they will fly from all over to sleep in the cattails down by the Fountain Creek.

On the way back I saw some kids throwing a football in the street. It seems like more kids are getting out to play now.

My legs were a bit tired this evening. Usually this means I'm ready to move to more miles in a couple of days. I'll see how it works out.

End of the Day Picture

I really like this view. I love to see a horizon far away and then walk to it. It is really not as far as it looks. Probably about 3 miles. The clouds look a little threatening though.





TransAmerica Hike

Having partners is proving to be very motivating. There are two going far ahead who I will not catch unless they take a couple days off. I'm the little black dot in the next group. Several of us are moving about the same pace. More are coming from behind. If I took a day off, I would fall back in the pack and I do not want to do that.


See you down the road,

Gershon




No comments:

Post a Comment