Monday, September 15, 2014

9/15/14: 1722.2 miles to 1740.2 miles: TomTom GPS on WIlson

Buy on Amazon
Buy on Amazon
Buy on Amazon
There are three legs in this post. Unfortunately, Google's animated street view insisted on wandering off the planned route for all three legs. The route goes to points C, D and E on the segment map.


This morning I mounted my TomTom Gps to the push bar. It's a GPS I had from my motorcycling days. The reason I used it today is I was walking a different route and I didn't want to stray too far before turning towards home. At 30 minutes into the walk, I'd walked 1.9 miles which is 3.8 mph. This seems to be my new normal speed which I maintain without thinking about it. 

Speed is NOT important. What is most important is to keep walking. Long breaks will have more effect on the miles walked each day than the walking speed will. 

This morning I listened to "Conversations with my Coach." This is a book I'm writing about walking. This blog focuses more on physical aspects of walking and "Conversations with my Coach" focuses more on the mental aspects. Since I was listening to a recording, I opted for the quiet route on the bicycle trail to the University. I wandered around the University grounds for a while before heading home. 

If I ever want to take this hike for real, I'll need enough passive income to support myself along the way. Writing books is a part of this plan. I have retirement income from the Air Force and next year, I'll start getting Social Security. I also get royalties from the many books I published on Amazon. 

After reading many books and journals about road walking, I've concluded it's more expensive than I anticipated. The more money a person has, the easier it can be. I'd like the option to stay in motels as often as I like and to eat at restaurants as often as I like. This will allow me to walk more miles each day, so it's not totally a luxury. 

See you down the road,

Road Walking



4 comments:

  1. This is fascinating. I can't wait to 'hear' more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the fact that your book is taking shape as you walk. Clarity of thought and walking go together! Hike yourself Happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny,

      One of the early books I wrote was "Write to Hike." Maybe I'll write a sequel called "Hike to Write."

      Delete
  3. I love walking. I find it very meditative. your body is focused on moving leaving your mind to find stillness. great article and a great challenge. big hugs

    ReplyDelete