Tuesday, September 16, 2014

9/16/14: 1749.2 to 1757.4 miles: Eternal Life for Your Soles

Buy on Amazon
Buy on Amazon
Buy on Amazon
The Weather Map will show you where I am on the route.

Virtual Hike
It was foggy this morning -- not a London fog, but the light fog that needs an extra layer. Those who slept in this morning woke to blue skies and never knew it was foggy.

Colorado State University - Pueblo, Colorado

Shoe Recommendation -- Eternal Life for your Soles
In the last post, I showed the cost per mile does matter. For now, disregarding comfort, I'll  posit that as an axiom. Later, I'll present evidence on comfort.

Assuming the cost of shoes does matter, it behooves the road walker to make their shoes last as long as possible. What I suggest is something unique. Covering the sole with Gorilla Tape.

Danner Boots
The boot on top is new and the boot on the bottom has almost 3,000 miles on it. I've kept the sole covered with Gorilla tape from the start. There are a couple pieces of grey duct tape on this boot because I misplaced my Gorilla Tape yesterday.

The Gorilla tape molds to the surface of the sole, especially on a hot road. The cords show through after a short time and the fibers give an outstanding grip, even on ice and snow. Think microfibers.

I use small strips about the size of a small band aid to cover the bottom. Each day after I walk, I patch any areas that need attention.

So far, I'm still on my first roll of tape and I've been patching two other pairs of shoes with it. I also put a layer of tape on the front wheel of Wilson.

As long as sole is kept covered with the tape, it won't wear out.

Combat boots have a shank and a solid midsole, so these don't break down like hiking or running shoes. The boot will last as long as the sole is saved.

Other objections
There are other objections such as comfort, weight and foot pain. I'll address these one post at a time. Today's combat boots are NOT the ones my mother wore. (She really did. She was in the Army in WW II.)



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the information. You describe it very well and I feel informed! PS- beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete