Saturday, April 7, 2012

Miles 542.3 to 557.3

Total Miles: 557.3
Miles Today: 15.0
7 Mile Day Streak: 15
Map waypoints: N to O
Google Map




My legs were the good kind of tired this morning. It's the kind that goes away in the first 100 feet or so. When walking a lot of days in a row and trying to get good distance, that sort of tired is optimum for me.

I laced up my Red Wings which are a heavy boot. Compared to the others, they are kind of clunky. But once I get going, they are a little faster than the others. There is something about the way the sole is shaped that seems to make them work well. I do not have enough miles on them yet to give a long term review. One nice thing about leather boots is they continue to get more comfortable the longer they are worn. The leather conforms to the shape of the feet. After awhile, it is as if they are custom made. They do not have the same type of mid soles as shoes, so there are no worries about mid sole breakdown.

In the book "Brain Training for Runners" by Matt Fitzgerald, it says usually the brain sends a signal to muscles to feel tired long before there is a physiological reason to feel tired.

Generally I set a goal well below what I know I can accomplish. For instance, if I know I can do 30 push ups, just do 24. I learn to know what this 24 feels like. Over time, I'll gradually increase the number without trying to squeeze out every repetition I can. My general number is about 80% of top performance.

This sounds like laziness, but it reduces injuries that may cause long layoffs and a loss of motivation. The person that gives enough everyday will likely give more than one who experiences injuries and has to take time off.

The above is not advice for others. It is just what I do. Everyone is different.

This is one of those days I'd love to pile a lot of miles into the morning. But I have work to do around the house and we are planning a little trip to Phantom Canyon later. (The Phantom Canyon trip was moved to tomorrow.)

Looking at the route for timing, it appears Feb 1 will be the optimum time to start. Unfortunately this means 400 miles in Nebraska in August. Looking at the map again, I realize it can start on Jan 1 if planning for a 365 day trip. That arrives in NH in the beginning of March. It is still possible to get snow then. But with a vehicle, it would be possible to wait it out.

July is still hot in Nebraska, but I figure the walking could be done in the morning and evening. It will be more difficult to stay cool while stopped. The nights should be cool enough for walking. If it is safe, it would be a good time to get some big mile days. It's far enough into the hike so that will be possible. Maybe a generator and an air conditioner would be nice for the van.

I got to thinking I REALLY enjoy walking in the early morning before it gets light. The problem is, it is not so safe to ride a bicycle at night. There is no reason I cannot leap forward of the bicycle and leave it behind overnight. In those areas it would be safe to walk, it would be least likely to be found and stolen. It would be a good feeling to have a third of the day done by sunrise. This could result in some really big days when everything works out just right.

Walking at night means I would be less likely to meet people. But I can smell breakfast at the "CAFE" a lot of times. If I have the miles in, it would not be inconvenient to stop in for coffee and chat with the locals. Where it's appropriate, I'll leave a copy of the pamphlet so it can hang for years next to the many calendars.

A CAFE can be judged by the number of calendars on the wall. The more calendars, the better. It is a plus if there are some old license plates nailed to the wall.

Krister and I just got back from a real nice walk along the Fountain Creek. The weather is perfect. About a 10 mph wind and mid 40's. Krister said I say all weather is perfect so it loses its meaning. But to me, all weather is perfect.

Along the way we stopped for a little bit and I quickly lit a small fire just to get the camping smell. On the way back I found a couple treasures.




Title - LET'S GET LOST
Looks like a tree from The Wizard of Oz

I just kept walking on and off all day. By the end of the day I walked 15.0 miles. I felt really good all day. I knew there was a long one coming soon after I was a bit tired the other day. Hopefully I'll feel good enough to continue the 7 miles streak tomorrow.

The Red Wing 964 boots felt really good today.

I'm starting to get excited about getting to Florida. I should be there next Friday if I keep the streak going.

End of Day Picture


TransAmerica Trail Virtual Hike





No comments:

Post a Comment