Tuesday, July 22, 2014

7/21/14:1287.1 to 1294.3 miles: WIndow washers

Buy On Amazon:
http://amzn.com/B00LD41BRS


Yesterday, I walked a few miles around the city in addition to my normal walks outside of town. I saw these guys washing windows on the new judicial building. At first, they were progressing evenly, but as they neared the bottom, they may have started to race a bit.The one in the middle didn't have as many windows to wash, so he had an advantage.

As I watched them descend down the sides of the building, I pondered how normative behavior can slow the work pace to that of the slowest worker. This is something that is talked about in books on Scientific Management. If all the window washers are getting the same salary, than why should anyone work faster than the slowest worker? Maybe that wasn't the case in this situation as there may be safety considerations to staying at the same height.

I wondered about how much these men get paid. Surely, they do not make as much as the attorneys and judges who will be working inside the building.

Frankly, I don't see the point in building this new building as the old one was working fine. More waste of our tax dollars.




No comments:

Post a Comment