Sunday, August 31, 2014

1589.3 to 1607.6 miles: Shoe Tree




I'll be mentioning the weather for the scheduled route more often as it's getting to the time of the year when it is significant. I'm in the middle of Oregon on the virtual hike. The temperatures are in the low 50's. There are clouds and some rain in the area. The virtual weather will be interesting from a virtual aspect.

If on schedule, the reality walker would be in Southeastern Nebraska in the middle of a rainstorm. It looks like it will pass in a couple of hours. The temperature is in the low 70's. So far, leaving on March 15th has avoided any seriously nasty weather. 

I took a couple rest days as my schedule was busy. This morning, I thought I was taking it easy, but my tempo was between 127 and 133 steps per minute. It seems as if I've semi-permanently progressed to a faster tempo.


Since my last walk on this route, they started using a crane for constructing a new building at the university. 


As sunrise approaches I watch for the perfect picture. I like to take them from different locations than I've used before. 

Shoes -- they are everywhere. I saw the shoes below on the walk today. I've seen many others on previous walks. I could devote a blog to these mysterious shoes that appear everywhere. 


This morning, while I was sitting on the sidewalk outside of Loaf and Jug drinking coffee, a woman saw the map on my cart and asked if I was taking the hike. I explained the virtual hike to her. We talked for about 10 minutes about how expensive a real hike would be. We also talked about how difficult it is to relinquish all responsibilities for a year to take a real hike.






No comments:

Post a Comment