Monday, September 1, 2014

1607.6-1625.6: Mr. Lee Walks Across America


I was a bit sore this morning and I considered taking a day off. I decided to walk anyway. Although it was a little slow, I enjoyed it and I'm glad I went.

The mornings are getting cooler and it was about 55 degrees when I started and when I ended. The fleece came off as the sun came up.


Wilson has gone 118 miles. The Gorilla tape is starting to wear through on the side tire. The nose wheel is still good. I think I'll add another layer sometime today. I'm not sure it's worth the effort on the side tire as the one without the Gorilla tape still has the little ridge of rubber on it. 

Mr. Lee is having a great hike on the American Discovery Trail. His journal is here. He is leaving Carson City, NV.  Most of the road walkers seem to take a zero day after about three days of hiking. Mr. Lee has spent about half the days in a motel. Maybe stealth camping isn't as easy as people imagine. Or maybe a motel looks good after a long day of walking and people stumble into  many nights in a motel one night at a time. Either way, a long road walk would probably be more expensive than people imagine.

As I sat on the sidewalk at Loaf 'N Jug drinking a cup of coffee, I noticed gas was $3.65 a gallon. That's about 12 cents a mile for a car that gets 30 miles a gallon. That's probably about the same as walking if all the costs are included -- not counting food and motel rooms on a long road walk. This is an example of random thoughts I have. 

While walking home from Loaf 'N Jug, I passed a woman coming the other way who was pushing a baby jogger. The baby looked happy. I wish I could have taken a picture. Oh well, I can keep the picture in my mind.

Maybe I'll take another short walk later today. Most likely it will be behind my lawn mower. 

This afternoon I need to go to Home Depot to get some alcohol for the stove. It's getting to be that time of year when it's pleasant to cook breakfast outside after walking. 

See you down the road,

Gershon




No comments:

Post a Comment