Saturday, August 16, 2014

8/16/14: 1510-1528.3 miles. Pedestrianism



I took a couple days off from my longer walks. I had to do some house painting and clean the garage. These miles are mostly "pedometer miles" around the house with a couple trips to the store in the mix. Everytime I do this, I ask myself if pedometer miles around the house are "real miles."  I know the pedometer reads too many miles for steps around the house. Still, I find they have the same physical effect as walking the miles on the road. So, I count them for the virtual hike as if they were full length miles. 

During the past few days I've been reading 

Pedestrianism: When Watching People Walk Was America's Favorite Spectator Sport byMatthew Algeo (Apr 1, 2014)

The history of Pedestrianism is amazing. People were walking 500 miles in six-day races. Mostly it was race-walking. Some races allowed running. Others did things like walk one mile each hour for 1,000 hours straight. 

Pedestrianism was the most popular spectator sport during the 1800's. It's a forgotten part of history to most people. The book is worth reading to learn what can be done.

My stride rate keeps increasing slowly. Today, I hit 136 steps per minute. I don't know if that's a good thing. Maybe I'd be better off using a metronome to limit my stride rate. For now, I'm going to enjoy the faster pace and see what happens. 





No comments:

Post a Comment