Tuesday, August 12, 2014

8/11/14: 1491.7 to 1500.6 Miles. Reroute needed



It looks like a major re-reroute is needed. Yesterday I was looking for services on the route through southeast Utah. Who would have thought a numbered state road  was hundreds of miles of dirt road? The scenery is beautiful, but there is no way to hike it. I may have to revert to the more southern route through Arizona. for a reality hike.

The motorcycle GPS isn't going to work on Wilson. It's impossible to see the screen in the sunlight. I called Garmin and their handheld units are too expensive. The battery life is also too short. Other brands use non-standard batteries. It looks like I'll have to go back to the bicycle odometer. If I can find one, it will be less trouble than a GPS. Everything on the market looks cheap and it may not last long. Maybe the best method will be a stopwatch and timing. 

Most state roads will have mile markers, so keeping track of the miles may not be difficult.

Time to put some good news on this post. I put a strip of Gorilla Tape on Wilson's front wheel. So far it has lasted 65 miles without wearing through. As long as I keep adding tape along the way, I'll be able to make the wheel last a long time. 

It won't be long before I need to buy some new shoes. Luckily a new shoe store opened in the mall. I'm going to try a pair of New Balance running shoes. 

I'll spend much of today painting the back of the house. Mike is going to start replacing the siding on the north side of the house today. I'll need to paint whatever siding he puts up today. 

I guess most of my steps today will be from working around the house. 

The initial version of the reroute is done. It adds 147 miles to the route. There is a 80 miles stretch with no services. The good news is there will be hundreds of miles along Route 160. From Walsenburg, Co until turning north in Arizona, I won't have to worry about any turns. 

Time to get to work.





No comments:

Post a Comment