Monday, August 11, 2014

8/11/14: 1482.5 to 1491.7 miles. Wilson Gets a GPS



Completed Segment 23


This morning I mounted a Tom Tom GPS on Wilson (push cart.) It was a bit too bright for night use, but I found a setting that will automatically reduce the brightness at night. That's the moon in the top center of the picture. 

Since I knew where I was going, the function I used the most was the distance traveled and the average speed while moving. The average speed is for motorcycles, and it only does it to the nearest mph. I walked a little over 5 miles and based on the distance and time, I calculated my speed to be 3.75 mph. 

The GPS needs to be recharged after every four or five hours, so it's not suitable for reality hiking the 48 states, and is even not suitable for long days of hiking. I could use my Garmin Etrex and carry some extra batteries with me for a long day of hiking. 

For a reality hike, I'd prefer to have a mechanical odometer with a trip odometer, but I can't find one for 20 inch wheels that will mount on Wilson. I like mechanical odometers because they don't need batteries and the mileage is visible even when there is no power. 

A waterproof map holder on the push bar would be nice. The top should flip up so it's easy to make notes on the map. I'd want it covered with plexiglass and hinged. Maybe matted plastic from document protectors would be better so there is no glare in the sun. 

Another thing I'd like to have for a long hike is a water bottle holder on the side of the pushbar. It would get warm in the sun, but I don't mind warm water. 

I'll have to be careful not to add too much weight with all the extras. 

Adding services to the maps will take a long time. I'll try to keep up with them as I continue along the virtual route. 

No comments:

Post a Comment