Thursday, August 7, 2014

8/7/14: 1446.1 to 1455.4 miles: Route change. Monthly color coded map




The map changes colors after each month of traveling 25 miles a day. The key points are the Wolf Creek Pass, which is about the 10th day of travel and the last blue circle in the middle of Massachussets. It take seven months to get to the last blue circle in Massachusetts. Ideally, I'd like to start on March 15th to arrive in Massachusetts on October 15th. However, the weather can be cold in the Wolf Creek Pass in March.

Finally, I decided to make a change to the route. The route will start by going to Walsenburg. I tried to avoid this as the directions are complicated. I figure a person could drive the route before hiking it. Otherwise, paying close attention to the map will work. 

There are a couple advantages to going through Walsenburg. It's about 20 miles shorter. It avoids going through Salida, which is at higher elevation nd has colder weather. I'll make this change when I get to it. I won't make the change for the virtual hike as some of the roads don't have Google Street View.

I'm leaning towards leaving on March 15th if the weather looks good. If it works, that will leave an option for 30 zero days along the way. 

Rather than making a separate guide, I'll add the Walsenburg option which will intersect the original plan in Monte Vista, CO. 

First Light this Morning






No comments:

Post a Comment