Friday, April 13, 2012

Boot Reviews

For the purposes of this article, boots are leather or mosty leather. In the end, each person needs to choose what works for them. The reason I wrote this article is the reputation of boots is so bad, many people do not even consider them. For many of us that is a mistake. It was not until I started wearing boots that my feet became completely comfortable.
Boots have a bad reputation among backpackers. First they are heavier than shoes. Secondly, bad boots often give blisters. The reputation is so bad people often don't consider boots. This reputation is not deserved.

First of all, the idea that a pound on the feet equals 5.6 pounds in the pack was based on a flawed study. The study used a small number of volunteers on a treadmill. When going uphill on a treadmill, the pack does not move while the boots do. It used a VERY heavy pack about 40% of body weight. This is an error so obvious, the study never should have been published.

Secondly, it based its conclusion on VOmax or oxygen use.

It ignores a simple problem. Sore feet do not hike well. This is where it really gets to personal preference. Few people get blisters in hiking shoes. Many get blisters in boots. The latter probably fail to break the boots in properly or they have the wrong kind of boots for their foot.

Shoes tend to get wet more easily. I dislike having to walk through a shallow stream in shoes and having wet socks and shoes for a long time. In the rain, shoes can get wet very quickly. Boots are pretty waterproof. Sure, they might get wet in an all day driving rain. We do not get that often here. Our storms generally last only an hour or two. This is not enough to get any of these boots wet through except maybe in a severe rainstorm. I have not experienced that, so I cannot say.

Socks

It seems odd that I would start an article on boots by talking about socks. Socks are critical to comfort. A thick pair of wool socks like SmartWool works best for me.

Classic Boot


This is the Danner Mountain Light which has been around since the 80's. It is considered a classic hiking boot. It is probably this style most people think of when they think of boots. I have a pair of these with 75 miles on them. Both on the road and the trails.

The weight for each boot is 1 lb 15 oz in size 11 1/2 EE. To compare, my hiking shoes weigh 15 ounces. So, there is a weight penalty.

Notice the stitching on the top around the sole. This is called Welte construction. In general, this means the sole can be replaced. For expensive boots I consider this critical. Replacing the sole costs about the same as a mid-priced hiking shoe. The tops will last a very long time with reasonable use and care.

First the bad news. These boots take a LONG time to break in. It has to be done slowly or there will be many painful blisters. I broke mine in by wearing them around the house for awhile until I stopped walking like a monk in a monastery. This took about a month of wearing them for a few hours a day. After, I went on very short walks, still walking like a monk.

The reward is the leather starts to take the exact shape of the feet. The leather does soften up eventually.

The soles have extremely good traction on trails and rocks. It's not a climbing boot, but it works very well for normal things people would encounter on a trail. It does take a short while to get used to a sole that does not bend as freely as a shoe. I find this to just be different and not a problem.

The boots feel light on my feet and I do not feel they slow me down very much, if at all.

For me, these boots have a fatal flaw. The tops can't lace tight enough to draw them snugly against my ankles. This means my ankles move around which would eventually cause a problem on a mult-day hike. The other problem is the tongue tends to wander to the side which results in pressure from my laces on the top of my feet.

Caring for these boots is pretty easy. If they are especially dirty, I use saddle soap to clean them. Be sure to rinse off the saddle soap as it is supposed to be bad for leather. Then I polish them with brown Kiwi polish. After, I use a small paint brush and spread a thin layer of Lexol Leather conditioner on them. This is available in the tack section of Big R or a similar store. It can be ordered online. A liter is about $16 and will last a very long time.

Combat Boots


The modern combat boot is MUCH different than the old black combat boots many remember. This is one I own and it is made by Danner. When choosing boots, be sure to check the description for the type of duty they are designed for.

First look at the leather. This style is called "rough out." It means no polishing. It also means it is very soft like the old suede shoes. The fabric inserts give increased flexibility and some ventilation.

The first time I wore these boots out of the box, I hiked 14.9 miles. There wasn't even a hint of a hot spot. They are amazingly comfortable. They feel soft like a slipper, yet they give great support.

The soles give excellent traction on trails and rocky surfaces. Even when the surface is wet. They give about the same feel of the trail as a pair of hiking shoes except for one thing. Since they are designed for the desert, they do not transfer heat much from a hot road.

The soles are designed to transfer the energy of each step into the next step. It is something I can really feel when walking in them.

The cloth inside is Gortex. It does not feel hot. It is also a wicking material so it wicks moisture away from the foot.

With these boots I don't have to worry about fording creeks. Just go right through. No water leaks inside at all if it's not deeper than the top. If they do get soaked somehow they are said to hike dry in about an hour.

They look like they would be hard to get on for night trips outside the tent. Just be sure to loosen the laces well before putting them on and they are quite easy.

These boots are also comfortable for double timing. One would expect that with a military boot. They are not so good for faster running.

They are said to be long wearing. I keep up with Shoo Goo on the wear points. After 217 miles I don't see much wear. Still, next time, I'll get a recraftable version of this boot.
The boots are warm in the winter and stay dry when hiking in the snow.

They do take some time to clean. I use saddle soap and a brush. Be sure to rinse the saddle soap off. Then I brush on Lexol Leather conditioner and preservative.

This is my first choice of footwear for all hiking conditions. The little bit of extra weight is more than made up for by the extra comfort.

Redwing 964


I got these boots because I wanted something that would last for a lot of miles on the road. The leather is beautiful. It shines easily with Kiwi brown polish topped off with Lexol Leather Conditioner.

These boots are HEAVY. About 2 1/2 pounds apiece. I knew that going in and wasn't concerned. They are for city walking, not trail walking.

I was told the top has a lifetime guarantee. The warranty on the website is shorter. I'm not sure which is right. It probably doesn't matter as these look like they will last a long time.

The soles have a bit of a curve to them held by a fiberglass shank. This curve makes walking amazingly easy and comfortable. They took about 10 miles to break in for comfort. The break in wasn't painful. I was just being careful. Then I went off for a 12 1/2 mile hike in them. As it turns out, these are my fastest boots on level ground. I averaged 4.1 mph for the 12 1/2 miles and hardly noticed. Still, I don't think I'd like to take them up a steep trail. One day I will try it to see how I do.

These are a work boot, not a hiking boot. I noticed some wear on the soles a little quickly. Usually I wait for the first wear points to show and cover them with Shoo Goo. Since I didn't have any handy, I stuck on some Gorilla Tape. It was magic. The tape sort of fused to the soles and looks as if it was rubber painted on the soles. The tape lasted about 35 miles before the first little holes started to wear in it. Now it's just a few small touch up pieces of tape after each hike. The soles should last a very long time this way.

In some reviews I have read, people complain they scuff easily. That was something I noticed when I first got them. After a few coats of polish and Lexol conditoner, they no longer scuff easily. It is an easy leather to clean and get a good shine. It only takes a few minutes. I find painting the conditioner on with a small 1 1/2 inch  paint brush works real well

One day, I will take them out on a day hike to see what happens.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting your reviews. I am a fan of leather boots too. For trail/off trail I currently wear the Vasque Sundowner. Like the Danner, in that it has very few seams, but lighter. The downside is they won't take crampons. In town (I walk approx. 650 miles annually to and from work) I wear the Lowa Renegade Lo. Very pleased with both pairs. - Kent

    ReplyDelete