Saturday, July 12, 2014

7/12/14 - 1228.4 to 1238.4 miles: Bread of Shame

Buy On Amazon:
http://amzn.com/B00LD41BRS

Yesterday was a good day. I found $20 on the bicycle trail as I mentioned in yesterday's post. I went to the bank in the afternoon and found my bank account had $190 more in it than I expected. 

This morning as sunrise was nearing, I was deciding where to go. I decided to go to the starting line of the 48 State Virtual Hike. It is a little more than a mile from where I live. Just down the street, I got two stunning pictures.




The full moon was setting in the west and the sun was rising in the east at the same time. This always happens on the day of the full moon. Notice the mackerel skies portending rain later today.

This event is significant because Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed on a similar day, although during a different month. It would have been the month of Nissan, when Passover occurs. The Christians have their interpretation of Sodom and Gomorrah all wrong. They think it is about sex, but the book says nothing about sex. Here is what the book says: 

Eze 16:48 Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and the needy.

In Judaism, we have something called, "The Bread of Shame." If we get an undeserved blessing, we are to give a portion of it to someone in need.  Yesterday, I received an extra $210, so I wanted to give some away. 


As I passed under I-25 crossing over HWY 50 in Pueblo, Colorado -- the intersection marking the beginning of the Virtual Hike Route, I decided to stop at that McDonald's in the upper right corner of the arch. It's not my normal fare, but I decided to get a couple hash browns and coffee. 

Having decided to experiment with Planetwalker's vow of silence, I wrote "2 hash browns and coffee for here" in my notebook. After the cashier greeted me, I nodded and smiled while I handed her my notebook. That was the last time she looked me in the eyes. Chuckling now that I think about it -- maybe she initially thought the note was a robbery note and she was getting over her fright.

As I left McDonald's, I walked through the gas station parking lot next to it. It is an "interstate exit" gas station and I'm surprised so many tourists were awake so early. I saw an old man standing outside the open door of a car. His clothes were clean and he had a wooden cane, but his blue pea jacket gave him away as being homeless. It was already getting warm. The homeless often wear all their clothes, because if they leave them in their camp, they get stolen.

Still maintaining my temporary vow of silence, I walked towards him as I opened my wallet. At first, I was going to give him $5.00, but I decided on $10. As I approached him, he asked if I could help an old man buy breakfast. I handed the man the $10 and smiled at him. I wanted to hug him, but I didn't want to scare him. Perhaps sensing my thoughts, he spread his arms showing he wanted to give me a hug. I hugged him close for about 10 seconds. I could feel his body start to tremble. We needed that.


As I walked back on this bridge, I saw this random tomato. How did it appear there in the last 40 minutes or so? Oh well, I took a picture and walked on.


Later, I took a walk in the prairie and saw this cactus. The picture is begging for a caption. I thought of "Cactus Man selling Balloons." 

I crossed the prairie, and went on the now familiar four lane. I was looking forward to a 32 ounce glass of water at the Loaf and Jug. A person has to be hot to really enjoy cold ice water. 

So far today, I've walked 8.4 miles. I'm looking forward to the short walk later today to get a head start on tomorrow's miles. I'm starting to enjoy HOT, and the hotter the better.

See you down the road,
Meander Thaller


No comments:

Post a Comment